​Wildlife in house, what should I do?
Search by
postal code:
Search our site:

Report Animal Cruelty:


For all other calls and inquiries
see our contact details.

Find a BC SPCA location in your area:

​There’s a squirrel/raccoon/skunk in my attic/crawlspace/shed/garage. What should I do?

Wild animals sometimes get into trouble when they start looking for food and shelter in our homes. The best solution is to prevent the problem before it starts. Make sure you’re not accidentally giving them food (like pet food, bird seed, fruit trees, fish ponds) or shelter. Make sure your garbage and compost is in wildlife-proof containers. Seal gaps or holes in sheds, crawl spaces, attics and porches before they become a comfy den.

If the animal has already moved in, encourage them to move along using mild deterrent techniques. You may also need professional help to evict them safely and humanely – call an AnimalKind company to help you with wildlife in your home.

Any company can call themselves “humane”, but AnimalKind companies follow the BC SPCA’s standards (PDF) and have to pass an audit to become accredited.

For species-specific information, read our documents for best practices on wildlife control.

Wild red squirrel eating red berry on a tree branch
Photo credit: Tania Simpson

Find out when AnimalKind is available in your area