The BC SPCA is the only animal welfare organization in B.C. with the authority to enforce animal cruelty laws under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (PCA Act).
Report incident of animal in distress
To report an animal in distress (including wildlife), please call the BC SPCA Provincial Call Centre at 1 (855) 6BC SPCA (1-855-622-7722). The call centre is open seven days per week; Mon to Fri: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Sat & Sun: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. If this is an animal emergency outside of these hours, please contact your local police department or RCMP.
Cruelty investigations team
The Cruelty Investigations Department investigates all reports of cruelty against animals in B.C. and takes the necessary steps to alleviate their distress.
Every year, the department investigates thousands of complaints of cruelty and neglect and conducts more than 9,500 animal cruelty investigations. Our 30 full-time Special Provincial Constables are trained to carry out these investigations, care for animals in distress and recommend charges to Crown Counsel for the prosecution of those who inflict suffering on animals.
The department also works to decrease the likelihood of repeated abuse through education, cooperation, and if necessary, deterrence in the form of legal proceedings.
2019 Cruelty Investigation updates
The following charges have been approved:
- BRUYERE, Olivia (Mission) File # 281926 – 1 Poodle died -blunt force trauma. Offence date September 17, 2018.
- CLENDENNING, Michael (Chilliwack) File # 266253 – 24 Cats, 18 Rabbits, 9 dogs, 93 dead animals exhumed. Offence date March 7, 2018.
- MINIONS, Rober and TSIN-MINIONS, Neddy (North Vancouver) File # 242597 – Breeder, 40 dogs seized. Offence date November 24, 2016.
- MORIARTY, Philip (Richmond) BC Canine Training Centre/Boarding File # 246680 – owner left his Great Dane for training and boarding returned to find his dog thin, muscle wasting. Offence date January 2017.
- PARKER, Elizabeth (Sunshine Coast) File # 233072 – 18 cats, 2 horses seized Offence date January 11, 2017.
- VIITRE, Tarmo (Vancouver) File # 225838 – Physical abuse. Offence date May 8, 2016.
- ZHAO, Ji Feng. (Langley) File # 269013 – 3 dogs, 1 goat and 1 calf in distress – Offence date February 14, 2018.
Your donations make a difference
The BC SPCA does not receive any provincial funding to assist with animal cruelty investigations.
An investigation can cost more than $10,000 on average to bring one case of cruelty to Crown Counsel for prosecution. To that end, we spend approximately $2.5 million per year.
We rely on generous gifts from our supporters to help us ensure that we can continue to help animals in need and end animal cruelty in B.C.
To receive monthly information about BC SPCA programs and cruelty investigations, sign up for our news alert.