It’s springtime! Which means many of us are busy with cleaning out the yard and preparing our gardens for fresh plants and flowers. While the backyard is typically a fun oasis for your four-legged friend, there are a number of species of plants that are toxic for pets.
1. Castor bean plant
Additional names: Castor Oil Plant, Mole Bean Plant, African Wonder Tree, Castor Bean
Beans are highly toxic to your pet due to the ricin found in the plant. Ingestion of as little as one ounce of seeds can be lethal with signs typically developing 12 to 48 hours after eating. These include loss of appetite, excessive thirst, weakness, colic, trembling, sweating, loss of coordination, difficulty breathing, progressive central nervous system depression, and fever. If left untreated, bloody diarrhea may occur, and convulsions and coma can precede death.
Additional name: Sowbread
The sweet-scented Cyclamen is a genus of 23 species of perennial flowering plants in the family Primulaceae. It contains terpenoid saponins, which is harmful to your pet and can cause salivation, vomiting, diarrhea. Larger ingestions can cause heart rhythm abnormalities, seizures, and even death.
3. Poison Hemlock
Additional names: Poison Parsley, Spotted Hemlock, Winter Fern, California Fern, Nebraska Fern, Deadly Hemlock
Not to be confused with a hemlock tree, Poison Hemlock contains various alkaloids that are toxic to pets and can cause agitation, tremors, drooling, diarrhea, paralysis, and even death when ingested.
4. Branching Ivy
Additional names: English Ivy, Glacier Ivy, Needlepoint Ivy, Sweetheart Ivy, California Ivy
When ingested, Branching Ivy can be toxic to your pet and could cause vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, and diarrhea. It’s important to note that the foliage is more poisonous than the berries.
Additional name: Rose-Bay
A popular plant belonging to the Apocynaceae family, Oleander contains the toxic cardiac glycosides which can cause drooling, abdominal pain, diarrhea, colic, depression, and even death when ingested.
Additional common names: Datura stramonium, Devil’s Trumpet, thorn apple, Indian apple, black datura, jimsonweed, tolguacha, Jamestown weed
All parts of this plant are toxic to your pets, particularly horses and cattle, due to the toxin tropane alkaloids. Once ingested, it can cause dilated pupils, light sensitivity, restlessness, anxiousness, dryness of the mouth, intestinal stasis (lack of normal flow of intestinal contents), constipation, increased heart rate and breathing, walking drunk, and respiratory failure.
Tulips belong to the Liliaceae family and while they are a popular spring flower, they are toxic to your pet with the highest part of toxic concentration belonging to the bulb. Once ingested, harmful symptoms include vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and hypersalivation. All plants belonging to the Liliaceae family are poisonous, and cats are at an increased risk for illness.
8. Sago Palm
Additional names: Coontie Palm, Cardboard Palm, cycads and zamias
A popular indoor plant, the Sago plant belongs to the Cycadaceae and contains cycasin, a toxic element that, if ingested, can induce vomiting, melena, icterus, increased thirst, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, bruising, coagulopathy, liver damage, liver failure, and even death.
9. Cocoa bean mulch
Mulch is an important part of gardening but gardener beware: cocoa bean mulch contains theobromine and caffeine, just like chocolate. These chemicals are poisonous to dogs and when ingested, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, tremors, and sometimes even death.
Additional names: Mother-In-Law-Plant, Devils Backbone, Chandelier Plant, Mother of Millions
This colourful plant belongs to the Crassulaceae family and is harmful to your pet when ingested, causing vomiting, diarrhea, and sometimes an abnormal heart rhythm.
The list above are just some of the plants that can be harmful to your pet but there are more.
If you have a dog or cat who likes to eat your plants, it best to not leave them unsupervised around these items and be sure to not leave yard trimmings they could access.
Should you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, call your veterinarian or an emergency veterinary clinic immediately. How quickly treatment is started can mean the difference between life and death.
- Toxic for dogs: What to avoid feeding Fido
- Toxic for cats: What to avoid feeding your feline
- Aromatherapy and your pets: what you need to know
- Is Peanut Butter toxic for dogs?
Get updates from the BC SPCA
Want to receive more pet tips like this, right in your inbox? Use the form below to subscribe for updates.