Learn more about our foster care program!
Foster volunteers provide a temporary safe place for some of our most vulnerable animals to thrive. When we receive animals that are not ready for adoption, we rely on our dedicated foster volunteers to provide care for them in their homes. Our foster volunteers can foster as often as they are able, whether that is every few months or as the needs arises, this is a flexible opportunity where our volunteers can choose when they can help.
Types of foster opportunities and commitment length
We never quite know what animals will need foster care, ii can range from an animal needing a few days of care to weeks of recovery. Below is a guide for some of the more common foster placements and the length of commitment required. Please note that these times may vary depending on the animal.
|Foster Classification||Time commitment|
|Sick and Injured animals||1-8 weeks|
|Shy and under socialized animals||1-8 weeks|
|Mom and nursing animals||8-14 weeks|
|Bottle feeding animals||5-12 weeks|
|Pregnant animals||8-16 weeks|
|Animals in quarantine||2-6 weeks|
|Compassion placements||1 week-6 months|
|Emergency placements||1-8 weeks|
Requirements of the role
- 19+ years of age to complete an application
- Landlord approval if you are renting
- A room with a closing door and windows where you can provide a quiet, designated space for your foster animal
- Access to transportation to bring your foster animals to appointments, treatments and weigh-ins at the local BC SPCA or veterinary clinics
- Ability to spend time with your foster animal and monitor their health and wellbeing
What the BC SPCA provides
- Guidance and support in providing the best care for your foster animal
- Food, treats and feeding supplies
- Toys, blankets, kennels, brushes and any other supplies need to provide optimum care
- Medical care and expenses are provided at the discretion of the local BC SPCA manager
Ready to join our foster care team?
Find out where we have foster opportunities throughout the province and submit your application today.
Still have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.