Three Board Director positions available
The Board Development and Nominating Committee invites expressions of interest from eligible candidates to fill three Board Director positions in the 2023 Board election cycle for the following regions:
- Vancouver Island/Gulf Islands & Powell River region (2 positions)
- Cariboo & North region (1 position)
The successful candidates will be elected for a three year term of office beginning April 2023.
The actual election by the Voting Members, should one be required, will run from March 3, 2023 through to 4 p.m. PT on April 3, 2023.
Are you who we’re looking for?
Are you passionate about animal welfare? Do you have the professional leadership, governance and Board experience necessary to help chart the future direction of one of the largest animal welfare organizations of its kind in North America? Are you ready to make a difference in the lives of animals in our province? If so, you may want to consider the opportunity to serve on our Board of Directors!
The BC SPCA is currently seeking to recruit three candidates for its volunteer Board of Directors (Board) from the following regions:
- Vancouver Island/Gulf Islands & Powell River (two positions)
- Cariboo & North (one position)
The BC SPCA Board is a modified governance Board that is responsible for overseeing the management of the affairs and business of the BC SPCA by establishing policies, rules and regulations to carry out the obligations and powers of the Society. The Board is responsible for establishing the vision and mission of the organization, helping to chart its future direction through approval of the strategic plan and annual budget and provides strategic guidance to management who are responsible for the day-to-day conduct of business.
For the upcoming election, the Board is particularly interested in hearing from prospective candidates who have demonstrated leadership and governance experience and with one or more of the following types of professional experience:
- Finance – such as at the CFO level or with specialization in accounting, charitable taxation, audit or investments
- Legal – corporate governance, real estate and/or administrative/charity law
- Government Relations – such as senior provincial, local and/or First Nations government experience
Interested candidates will also bring prior Board experience and be broadly representative of the diverse nature of BC’s population. Details can be found in the 2023 Recruitment Brief linked below.
The total time required for each Director is approximately 75 hours per year. An additional 50 hours of non-calendar time should also be anticipated covering email correspondence and preparatory time to read Board materials.
Board Directors are expected to participate on two standing Board committees or sub-committees, either as a member or as the Chair. Each committee generally meets approximately five times each year for up to two hours.
Individuals agree that by submitting an application, they are available to and will attend, all Board meetings mentioned above and will prepare accordingly so as to ensure their full participation at Board and committee meetings.
Board Directors are also expected to make a reasonable effort to attend donor recognition events, fundraising events and other public engagements to represent the Society.
Next steps and key dates
If you are interested in being nominated:
- Review the 2023 Recruitment Brief (PDF) and submit the required candidate package as outlined in the Brief to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 13, 2023.
- Ensure that you are available for an interview between Monday, January 16, 2023 and Friday, January 27, 2023.
- Following the interview, qualified candidates may complete the final component of the nominations process by submitting a formal nomination form to email@example.com between Monday, February 6, 2023 and 4 p.m. PT on Friday, February 17, 2023.
- Should an election by the voting members be required, it will take place between March 3, 2023 and April 3, 2023 with the successful candidate assuming office on April 22, 2023.