Search by
postal code:
Search our site:
Donate
BC SPCA Logo

Animal Cruelty Hotline:

1-855-622-7722

For all other calls and inquiries
see our contact details.

Find a BC SPCA location in your area:

Wild ARC Statistics

Our wildlife rehabilitation centre is getting busier every year. Last year, we admitted 3,013 sick, injured and orphaned wild animals, and we expect just as many in the coming season.

Racoon Baby Looking at Camera

Why do wild animals need help?

Most of the animals that arrive at Wild ARC (around 80 per cent) need help because of human activity. This is because we have created a situation that either harmed the animal or caused it to become orphaned. The most common reasons we admit wildlife include:

  • Collisions with vehicles
  • Capture by free-roaming outdoor cats or off-leash dogs
  • Collisions with windows or buildings

How many animals does Wild ARC treat?

During our first full year of operation we admitted just over 1,500 wild patients. Last year, we treated 3,013 animals. Our numbers are increasing because more people know we are here to help, but also because we continue to expand our urban areas. With more people and less undisturbed wildlife habitat, human-wildlife interactions are increasingly common.

Animals admitted at Wild ARC each year from 1998 to 2016
Animals admitted at Wild ARC each year from 1998 to 2016

Have you ever wondered why wildlife rehabilitators call the summer months the ‘busy season’? We admit wild animals all year long, but during the spring and summer our patient numbers increase a lot. This is because most wild species are having babies during this time, making both parents and young more vulnerable.

Number of animals admitted each month at Wild ARC in 2016
Number of animals admitted each month at Wild ARC in 2016

What kind of wildlife does Wild ARC admit?

We rehabilitate a wide variety of bird and mammal species, as well as a few reptiles and amphibians. Because we are on Vancouver Island, the ocean creates a traveling barrier. There are fewer mammal species here than on the mainland. Since 1997, we have treated 147 bird species, 25 mammal species, and eight reptile and amphibian species. In an average year, 70 per cent of our patients are birds, and the remaining 30 per cent are mammals. We only occasionally admit amphibians or reptiles.

 

 

 

 

Examples of the birds, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians we admit at Wild ARC

For a full list of species treated at Wild ARC, see our Wild ARC Patients By Species (PDF).

X
- Enter Your Location -
- or -